Monday 30 June 2014

Veterinary stepping stones #1


Over the course of the next two weeks, I will be attending work experience at a small animal practice in my local area. Today was my first day, and it was most definitely memorable.

On arrival, I was given a brief tour and health and safety talk. I was told that I would be a quiet day, with no major operations taking place later on. I was just about to be set on task, when a man burst through the door with a dog in his arms. The dog had been hit by a car- and needed urgent treatment.

Everyone got to work straight away, although hectic, they worked in unison together and sooner or later the dog was stable. As soon as the drama had started, it had calmed down just as quick. The day went on as normal, I sat in on consultations, helped with general cleaning duties and minor surgeries. Some of the more memorable patients were: a dog who had rolled onto a wasp and was experiencing trouble walking, a beautiful cat that needed dental work (and took a while to come round!) and a little pug who sniffed at you anytime you went near him.

Later on in the day, the vet I was shadowing had the task of putting down an old dog whose quality of life due to old age was extremely poor. euthanasia is obviously never easy to watch and I had to sit this one out, although it was a learning curve for me, my heart goes out to the poor owners. R.I.P little one.

All in all, It was an eventful day but extremely interesting. As the day went on I was given more responsibility's and I look forward to what tomorrow will bring.

Abbie
x

No comments:

Post a Comment